Saturday, December 6, 2008

A little baby/hospital news

So Wednesday Joel, Landyn and I drive all day back to Utah. The drive was easy and we had a great time. Miles stayed back with grandma for a couple more days of disney and park and grandma's big house fun! ;D Joel is once again the biggest trooper of all and took the second leg of the drive (Mesquite to Pleasant Grove) knowing that he'd have to get up and leave for work around 4a. When we got home he had roses and rose petals and yummy truffles and sparkling cider set out for our anniversary. There's nothing this guy doesn't do. As Joel is kissing me good-bye for the day I realize I'm having a pretty strong contraction. We wait a moment and within 5-10 minutes, I'm having another one. We discuss whether I should go to the hospital, Joel should stay home, what to do with Landyn and I have another one. I get up and get dressed, Joel grabs Landyn and I have another one. We go to the hospital and get hooked up to 4 monitors: one for Scarlett, one for the little guy one for the contractions and one for me. I get 3 shots of terbutaline and a huge shot of steroids to help with lung development just in case I'm going into labor. (And I'm such an idiot cause I'm so afraid of shots that the nurse says, "this one goes in your hip" and I say "NO!" She says, "I can do it in your other arm if you want." I opt for that and lose the use of my arm for the rest of the day and it's still slightly tender. I didn't realize until my OB came in that hip means butt!) At this point I'm bawling cause that shot hurt so bad and my arm has much less fat on it that my BUTT and my heart is racing like crazy from the terbutaline and I'm all jittery. They check my cervix and say "you're at a one." I freak out even more cause now I'm thinking I'm going into labor. We stay at the hospital for over 4 hours and they finally send me home with a prescription for a pill form of the terbutaline, at this point cause my contractions subside. I have one more scare thursday afternoon around 4:30p cause I start having contractions every 10 minutes. I call Dr Judd and he says take an extra pill and a "hot, hot bath & make sure my tummy is completely under the water." NO PROBLEM. I've been dying for a hot bath for about 6 months now and that was no chore for me. The contractions spread out to 30 minutes apart and then eventually none so we saved ourselves another trip to the hospital. One more huge blessing is that we have amazing insurance! I got a statement the other day for over $1000 dollars for my first emergency trip to labor and delivery cause of contractions and we pay $0 of that out of pocket.
I'm so grateful for a wonderful doctor, the most amazing husband, good timing, our medical benefits (and thankfully Joel getting laid off last April so he could find this amazing job with awesome benefits) healthy growing babies, my sister who has been sooooo much help these past two days, and all of my great friends who send love, support and do much much more.
Before my doctor said if I'm still pregnant by February I can get induced. Now his tune is "try and keep these babies in till mid-january. You're a much better incubator than the one down the hall. And if [I] can hold out till 34 weeks they most likely won't have to go to the NICU. So happy my mom will be here tonight until indefinitely. :D

2 comments:

Leah said...

we'll keep you in our prayers. I'm glad everything worked itself out. Take it easy!

Melinda said...

Whoa! Sara that is scary, I hope you are able to 'hold them in' until 34weeks! you are in our prayers